Sunday, September 7, 2008

NEW EYES

NEW EYES

I’m not sure if it’s called a trick or technique or system or procedure or approach,
but one of the first and best “Blah blahs” I’ve ever learned was to set finished projects aside for awhile before calling them truly finished.

It’s the old story of loving one’s babies.

No matter how ugly, smelly or just plain disgusting your prodginy may be, the fact that he/she/it is yours makes it beautiful and perfect to you.

So, some teacher of mine said once,
“Set it aside for how ever long it takes so you can see it with new and impartial eyes.”

This was good and useful advice and I have no doubt that this technique is used by many many artists.

But that’s not really what I wanted to write about today
{Humm, but I just did, so I’ll go with it]

Recently I found some pictures I had made, and then forgot all about.
The new-eye-thing worked and I felt I could really judge the quality of the pictures, and critique them each with a pure and just heart.
I’ll post them here now, with pride.

No comments: